Wednesday, April 9, 2014

THE COLOR OF WATER

It was old home week for books - I re-read The Red Tent, and now just finished The Color of Water for the second time.  I was going to leave both books on the shelf at the condo in Puerto Vallarta, but my mother in law had cleaned off the shelves and really purged, and these books are so good that I didn't want them to ever be purged!  Even though I'm not going to keep them, either.  I have a few shelves of books and that's it.  These are candidates to make the cut, though.  Now what'll I do?  

The Color of Water by James McBride - Just as good as the first time, this is the story of how a white Jewish woman married a black man in 1940 and started having children.  Although she raised them with devotion and love, and she didn't really lie to them, she was secretive about her past, and this book is the result of one son's determination to find out exactly who his mother was, and by extension, who he himself is.  It's a journey of love and of a strong woman who, despite her upbringing, followed her heart in all things.  If you've never read it, now's the time.  Of all the books about race and culture that the students have read in the Wilmette Public Schools and at New Trier, this is the best written, and by far my favorite. It is truly a beautiful story. 

No comments: