Monday, November 4, 2013

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS * TROUBLE WITH THE CURVE * SPECTOR * THE BLING RING

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green - I saw this at the book fair when I was subbing in the library one day, and Barbara said it was great, and she always knows a great book when she reads one.  The genre is Young Adult and it's target audience is a middle or high school aged reader.  Perfect for me, since I love stories narrated by precocious youth.  I had no idea what it would be about, was thinking distopian or modern sci fi.  Instead you'll find a love story backed by sadness and straightforward honesty.  It puts life in perspective, especially after reading Early Decision.  I'm blown away by the writing and the story. There are only so many ways to say that a book was good, but I mostly say the same thing I'll say here:  It's a really good book.  

Trouble With The Curve - No matter how one feels about his politics, one cannot dispute that Clint Eastwood knows how to make a wonderful movie.  His crusty old man characters who never totally soften, but whose honor allows them to be good people or to do a good thing are somehow enchanting. He plays a curmudgeonly baseball scout who has a shaky relationship with his only child.  

Spector - This movie is about Phil Spector, he of the "wall of sound", and centers around his court case after he was accused of murdering a young woman in his home.  I just couldn't get into it.  Short bursts of music wind through the soundtrack, but it's a heavy, blustery, long show.  I had a difficult time staying awake for this one, so if you're suffering a bit of insomnia, you could try this.  

The Bling Ring - A slightly depraved story made into a good movie. A loose group of friends find their way into celebrity homes after dark. Based on true events, these high school aged people live on the surface, live for today, and don't seem to have consciences. Still we  keep watching to see what happens. 

No comments: