Monday, November 19, 2012

SEASONS OF SUN * LORD OF THE FLIES

Seasons of Sun by Paula Renee Burzawa - This is one of my favorite books in a long time.  It's a novel about an all american Greek-American 14 year old girl who spend the summers of her teen years in her mother's reletives' village.  Her mom lets her have run of the town and she finds romance, fun and drama living life far from home with new friends and family.  The village becomes her second home, and when she's there it's like her home in a Chicago suburb doesn't exist.  It's a charming story for all ages, but especially women and girls, and then most especially for those who have a second life in a second home.   

Lord of the Flies by William Golding - Finally! Peter read this for sophomore English last year, so my version is rife with annotations from both George T and Peter.  It slowed me down at first, then I just ignored them and plowed on through.  What a story.  Young boys find themselves stranded on a desert island and have to figure out how to survive.  It's as good as it always was, although today's version would be so much different in style and language.  I wish I'd been reading it along with Peter, so I've got to be more diligent with Junior Year reading.  We've got The Great Gatsby coming up! 

No comments: