Sunday, August 24, 2008

MORE LEONARD COHEN

I'm still listening to Leonard Cohen. I love this music, although when I was home in Michigan, and listening to it with others in the room, it did reflect an extremely melancholy sound. Like very very slooooowwww. Still there is nothing like I'm Your Man for the most romantic song, Tower of Song for a song a about life, and Hallelujah for a song to make you think. So I read this darling little book called

HYDRA and the Bananas of Leonard Cohen by Roger Green who lives on Hydra, and whose home overlooks the garden of Leonard Cohen. Roger is the British Bard of Hydra, and wrote a poem, and then he started annotating and reflecting and expanding on his poem for a year and came up with this book. I think it's about bananas and people. It's sweet, but you wouldn't have to read it unless you were in an obsession.

and then there was

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Leonard Cohen - This is a video made in 1964 by the Canadian National Film Board about their native son. He was 29 years old, and he reads his poetry, and they follow him around town, and generally create an early A&E style biography about Leonard. He's very likable.

It's gone so far that I've checked out a piano book of Leonard's music, and have been playing the songs, too. If I can get one to sound halfway decent, maybe I'll make a little blog recording of Chelsea Hotel. It's nice and slow and pretty easy to play.




No comments: